http://www.blogger.com/app/post.pyra?blogID=8618724 Make a New Post

Sunday, November 27, 2005

Track-fu (Terri)

Just got back from seeing Walk the Line, which I would recommend. Well-acted and better-done than Ray from last year.

This week we have tracks from Dan (Blockhead), Cam (King Biscuit Time) and Brandon (Death From Above 1979). Again, we'll be playing the list from Track-fu for a few hours at Two Way Monologues Radio (http://72.10.130.108:8000/) starting...now.

1. World Leaders Pretend -- Bang Theory

The music in this song reminds me a bit of Coldplay, but the lead singer's voice has a bit more nastiness in it than Chris Martin is capable of. There's something in here that reminds me a bit of U2 as well, but it sounds fresher than U2 and Coldplay are able to do. This is a bit rawer than their brand of slick rock-pop. Regardless of the comparisons, it's a catchy sound, with the rollicking guitar, violins and vocals all working well together. I really like the piano.

2. King Biscuit Time -- C I Am 15 (Cam)

The instrumentals in this song remind me a bit of those on the Gomez album In Our Gun. This is actually the new project of the lead singer of Beta Band -- I'm not familiar with the Beta Band, aside from the song featured in High Fidelity. This song has a neat vibe though, with the mellow vocals from Steve Mason and then a surprising rap near the end.

3. CunninLynguists -- Nothing To Give

I wasn't sure what to expect with this name. Turns out, it's hip hop. I like the beat; it's pretty dramatic (more piano). It's nice to hear a chorus with a male singer for once; the hook girls are getting a little old.

4. Blockhead -- The Art of Walking (Dan)

I guess hip hop collage would be the best way to describe this. It makes me think of Avalanches, a bit, with little bits of this and that popping in and out, tied together with the beat. As we've previously discussed, I never go in much for eletronica and/or music without lyrics, but this is pretty catchy. I like the little twinges of gospel.

5. Talib Kweli and Rakim -- Getting Up Anthem

This is from Kweli's new disc, which Dan wrote about recently in Tuesday Stroll. This song's got a great beat, gets in your head pretty quickly. I sometimes find it hard to write about hip hop -- I don't know a lot about it, and I don't have a very wide frame of reference for it. But I like this song, in any case.

6. Death From Above 1979 -- You're Lovely (But You've Got Lots of Problems) (Brandon)

I don't really get the point of a remix album, especially when you've only got one studio album under your belt. If I were a fan of this band, I think I'd rather that they release an album of new material.

Anyway, I don't like Death From Above 1979, at least not based on this song. I think it's atonal. Maybe that means I'm not cool; oh well.

7. The Airfields -- City-State

I will give full disclosure and say that my friend Ian is in this band, and that I am biased to like them because I like Ian so much. He's pretty awesome, let me tell you.

But as it turns out, the Airfields make pretty indie pop, and I like pretty indie pop. Everyone wins! You should go to their website and download this song, along with the other two on their EP.

(I swear, bias or not, I really do like this song. There are bells, or things that sound like bells. How can you not like that?)

8. Wilco -- Kicking Television

I like Wilco, paricularly their newer stuff, since that's what I'm most familiar with. This song is from their live album of the same name, and it appears they are a bit more revved up here than they seem to be on their last two albums. It's an entertaining performance that sounds like it was fun to hear live.

Winner: I pick the Airfields, and I know my pick will have lingering suspicions of favourtism following it for years to come, but I don't care because I like the song. I liked World Leaders Pretend and the Kweli song too.

Loser: Death From Above 1979. Noisy.

6 Comments:

At November 27, 2005 at 8:26 PM, Blogger Daysthatareover said...

Well if it were me I woulda picked my song Blockhead or perhaps Cam's song as the winner.

Don't get me wrong I like the Airfields but is isn't the type of song that normally wins track fu. It needs a few listens... to work itself in to your conscious.

Still, The Airfields and Ian's other band the Diableros are both very good. Check them out.

 
At November 27, 2005 at 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ummm my post isn't showing up. Sorry if it is a repeat.

Has anyone heard more from this King Biscuit project?

I like what i am hearing.

 
At November 27, 2005 at 11:37 PM, Anonymous Steve said...

Did someone delete my post?

I just was pissed off DFA 79 lost. It wasn't that angry or anything.

 
At November 28, 2005 at 1:23 AM, Anonymous Laura said...

Hey the track fu isn't streaming anymore;(

I want to hear the Airfields song!

 
At November 28, 2005 at 11:35 AM, Blogger Daysthatareover said...

Steve - No i did not delete your post blogger is a douche soometimes.

Laura - Terri has a link in her post you can click to hear the songs.

 
At November 28, 2005 at 12:09 PM, Anonymous terri said...

I guess that Blogger was acting up. We generally only delete posts if they are obvious spam or super-offensive. No worries -- I am perhaps just not the right person for DFA 1979.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home