http://www.blogger.com/app/post.pyra?blogID=8618724 Make a New Post

Monday, November 21, 2005

Beastie Boys: Solid Gold Hits (Brandon "The Destroyer")

Beastie Boys - Solid Gold Hits
Brought to you by: Brandon "the Destroyer"

For those of you who have heard me talk about the Beastie Boys before know that they are amongst one of my favourite hip hop groups. These guys have been at it for almost twenty years, and if you are a caucasion in hip hop that is freaking incredible. I just hope that Eminem doesn't last twenty years so that people go on like he has talent or something, I mean all he does is complain and bitch about his life and how he loves his daughter. Eminem is a wad. The Beastie Boys have released their greatest hits, which I would like to think doesn't mean they are done producing new music. I think that I would really enjoy seeing these guys in concert, usually they end up playing with some pretty respectable hip hop or rock artist, so I can't imagine that wouldn't be a killer concert. The tracklist that they went with for this disc seems to be alright. I only own the newest album and their first album so really I am missing a bit of the hits that fall inbetween. Despite the fact I only have the two albums I have heard pretty much every song on the disc with the exception of "Root Down". This album features only fifteen of their greatest hits from over the years, I would say that is probably too short and that’s just because in twenty years of music you should have one song per year, it just makes sense if your that popular. As I'm sure your already well aware the Beasties are going to be a saga because they are always one with me, I probably won't buy the album but for anyone that likes the Beastie Boys and owns nothing buy them then this could be the album for you.

"So What'cha Want" is the first song on the album, and I would say that’s an acceptable way to start this album. The beat that starts off is one that is almost mixed with a church organ, or at least something that sounds a lot like an organ. The Beastie Boys use a fair bit of actual instruments within the beats that they mix, in this song you get a really cool guitar riff and some sicke drums to compliment it. On the chorus they don't even sing really, they just loop that wicked guitar riff which is good because this is a part of the song that you can rock out. This is actually a song that doesn't have much structure to it, the verses don't have a set amount of length to them and the chorus that has no lyrics is really the only consistent part of the song as far as the music is concerned. The Beasties took this style right here and made it fairly popular, it helped that someone like Run D.M.C. was there to assist them with influence, but they definitely added something to that style to help make it unique to them.

I have another concern with this greatest hits, there are three songs from the new album on it and well I find that a bit much since it came out in 2004 which wasn't that long ago. I think the other reason that I don't necessarily agree with them using songs from this album is because they choose poorly, they went with "Ch-Check It Out", "Triple Trouble", and "An Open Letter to NYC". I suppose my favourites are totally different then that but they just threw the singles from that album onto the greatest hits since that was what more people were exposed to. It’s kind of sad and lets me know they are doing a bit more marketing then is probably necessary for this album. Of the three songs I probably like "Triple Trouble" the most. You'll find it near the end of the album, track thirteen, the biggest reason for my like of this song is the beat. I think that I can always count on the Beastie Boys throwing me a sweet catchy beat that is layered with loads of production. And I don't care who you are you have to love it when they throw in the classic stuff like record scratches or they rewind a segment of the beat and then play it back, how old school is that shit?

The fourth song is "No Sleep 'Til Brooklyn" and this is one of the better songs on the disc that you'll get from the first album 'Licensed To Ill'. I can't stress enough that if you want to hear a sicke old school hip hop album you will get out to any used CD store and find 'Licensed To Ill'. My favourites from that album aren't actually on the greatest hits so you can imagine that for a second time I am fairly disappointed because if its a greatest hits that I want from the Beastie Boys then I might have to make the list myself. Now on "No Sleep 'Til Brooklyn" you get one of the catchiest guitar riffs to exist, I am pretty sure that the Beastie boys stole this from someone and remixed it, I just can't think of the name of the original song. Near the end of the track they bust out this wicked guitar solo and fade off into the distance with it, I think thats a neat way to end a song if you are supposed to be a hip hop group. I suppose the fact that the Beastie Boys actually can play guitar, bass and drums factors into my like for them because they don't rely on anonymous third parties to complete their albums.

I'm going to talk about "Root Down" because I hadn't heard this song prior to getting this album on my computer. It starts off with a funky beat with a stupid amount of bass, it grooves along until they start singing about root down. I don't really know what root down is but it doesn't matter because this is probably my favourite song on the album, half because its new and also because its pretty good. It seems like the beat goes all over the place but always has that same bassline that I love. They keep talking about kicking it root down and putting their root down, so I don't know what the hell is going on. I want to know what album this song is on, so after some research I have found out that it is on the "Ill Communication" CD. I know that I will probably buy some of these older Beasties discs, and thats just because I always get a lot of use from them, I can listen to the albums from front to back and not get annoyed with any songs, well except that stupid song "Girls" from the first album, if you like that song your a douche.

Does anyone remember the 'Hello Nasty' album? I don't know that I will buy that album, I don't even like the first or second singles from that album. Sadly they include both of them on this greatest hits, so I'm forced to hear "Intergalatic" which is a lame and cheesey space song, and then theres "Body Movin'" but this one is remixed by Fat Boy Slim. I'm not a huge Fat Boy Slim fan so I can't say that I super excited to hear him make a bad song even worse. I think my problem is in the song "Body Movin'" there is really only one set of lyrics: "body movin', body movin', body movin', we be body movin'...", and thats just part of the problem because they don't add much to the song in the ways of music either, it really loops over and over as you hear these repetitive lyrics. The Fat Boy Slim version doesn't excite me any more than the original, so to be honest I don't really care. The only good thing that I can say about the other song, "Intergalatic" is that the video is pretty entertaining with that huge robot, I actually remember that in grade twelve art I made a replica sculpture of that robot for a project, it was sicke.
I guess I'm going to mention one last song and thats just because its one of the biggest and most recognizable songs by the Beasties from all of their music. "Fight For Your Right" is the last song on the disc and how can you argue with the lyrics that are offered up on this song? I suppose that this is the type of song that I wish appeared more on the album, a pretty kick as combination of rock and rap that is fuse together to create the style that the Beasties deliver. If I could make the greatest hits of the Beastie Boys I know that I would create a better and more legit one but I don't know that it would sell more copies then the one that they suggested. Regardless I'm pretty disappointed with the album, it has a few songs here and there I will keep because I don't currently own them, but I'm more than one hundred percent sure that I won't be purchasing this album anytime soon. The saga of the Beasties is best left to albums, so I hope that they keep heading down that path and creating more hip hop for me to listen to.

Tracks to Steal: "Fight For Your Right", "Root Down", "So What'cha Want", "Triple Trouble", "No Sleep 'Til
Brooklyn", "Sabotage", "Brass Monkey"

Did they select their greatest songs for their greatest hits?
Are the Beastie Boys done putting out new music?

Judgment Passed: 7.1 (Like I said its a decent greatest hits that casual fans should enjoy or get a good mix of songs that they may have not heard before. If you are someone like me that listens to them often then you could be in for some disappointment because the tracklist is lackluster.)

6 Comments:

At November 21, 2005 at 12:29 PM, Blogger Daysthatareover said...

see I can see where you are going with this score but this is a greatest hits. It isn't a compilation of your favourite songs.

At the end of the day Greatest Hits consist of singles because they are called Greatest Hits. Emphasis on Hits, not best songs or essential tracks or something like that.

Anyhow, for a less avid Beastie Boys fan like myself I think this cd is the shiznit.

 
At November 21, 2005 at 12:58 PM, Anonymous terri said...

I can't believe that you hadn't heard "Root Down" -- I've got it stuck in my head now.

"Intergalactic" and "Body Movin'" are better songs when you're watching the video too.

I would buy this, because I'd like to have a bunch of good songs on one CD. I own License to Ill, Ill Communication and Hello Nasty, so I guess I've already got a lot of the songs in my collection.

 
At November 21, 2005 at 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

True enough. They don;t make greatest hits for hardcore fans they make it for the casual fans.

 
At November 21, 2005 at 7:27 PM, Anonymous Steve said...

Well i bought this cd and I like it. Don't know all that much about every Beastie album though.

 
At November 22, 2005 at 1:58 AM, Anonymous Laura said...

The never ending debate on the merit of greatest hits cds.

I'll chime in.

I think they are lame but everybody has a few of these lame greatest hits in their collection don't pretend you don't!

 
At November 22, 2005 at 11:11 AM, Anonymous Ronan said...

I think Greatest Hits are actually a good thing. For example, if somebody buys Neil Young's Greatest Hits just because 'Rockin In A Free World' is on it, and then grows to like his other songs, and thus buys an album or two by him, that's a good thing.

Also some artists (Bruce Springsteen for example) have released great songs on crap albums, and it's much better to get them on a Greatest Hits compilation than on some really bad album.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home